Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Age defining events

This past weekend, I attended my niece's wedding.

Now, there's a sentence that'll cause you to see if there are more gray hairs than yesterday.

Actually, it was a really great weekend. I got to help my sister finish the cake (I mostly decorated). We spend two days in her dining room covered in confectioner's sugar and stressing out about how the thing would look. Both of us are bakers and have made thousands of cakes, but when it's your daughter/niece it takes on a whole new spin. By the time we were done, we had a cake that probably would have fed 400 people - 150 attended - that weighed about 75LBS. I ate a couple of cups of frosting during the process. Sometimes when it's on your hand, and it needs to be free, well, you know. Anyway, I may have been a little more hyper than usual.

My eldest sister Clare (who's been gone for almost 6 years, I can't believe it), her kids were mostly there. I discovered that one of them couldn't come because he and his wife have a baby due in a couple of weeks. My family is NOTORIOUS for not sharing news. Anyway, it was great to catch up with the ones that did come. I had Caleb and Jake trapped in the car with me for more than an hour and we had a great conversation. We covered lots of things that we'd never been able to with the normal hubub around us. Caleb has really become a good man - without losing his child like nature. Jacob has also matured into a good guy, with his head securely fastened to his shoulders. Considering his mom died when he was at the height of teenagerhood, this is an amazing feat. His mind is always working, looking to find the humor in everything. It makes me feel good to see what I look for in myself in these two fellas.

Sonnet - the lovely bride, now she's really become a sensible, likeable, intelligent, crass, good lookin gal. This was her day, and it came off quite well. She looked great. Her bridesmaids had lovely, simple dresses that looked good on them! That never happens. I helped them in their final moments of stress, making sure that hair, makeup, dresses were properly "tweaked". We did a final bugger check, I told them to stand up straight, and not to lock their knees. My final word of advice was sage, "if you have to vomit, for heaven's sake, don't spew on any of the bridal party!"

My sister Sue, the bride's mother was on high alert. I am proud to say that, on more than one occasion, I was able to talk her down from the very high branch she was clinging to. She wanted this wedding to be wonderful for her daughter. It was.

There is a moment that only comes every so often in a person's life. It is a moment of joy, accomplishment and fulfilment. Everything comes together and you can hear the fourth note of the cord, even if someone isn't singing it. Sometimes this moment comes with a bit of wistfulness. In this case, all that was missing was Clare. She would have loved this day.





I think I caught this very moment on camera with Sue. I believe that this is the most beautiful picture of her - it makes me well up inside.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sonnetts wedding was amazing.